Quick Release vs Thru Axle Skewers
Using the Quick-release skewers is a good option for road bikes with rim brakes. Today, this is pretty much the only situation where they are better than thru-axles. Rim brake bikes do not have a thru-axle option so this is also a limiting factor. But if you are using any type of bikes with disc brakes, then thru-axle is the way to go.
Pros For Quick Release Rim Brake Bikes
- Easy to install since the fork has a U-Notch.
- No tools are needed to install or remove a wheel.
- Lighter than thru-axles.
- Cheaper than thru-axles.
- Very safe for rim-brake bikes.
Pros For Thru Axle Disc Brake Bikes
- Stiffer front end for improved handling and stability.
- Designed with a high safety factor to make them stronger and more durable and less likely to break especially when compared to quick-release skewers.
We highly recommend a thru-axle design for additional safety. Most manufacturers have moved to thru-axle but you can still find disc brake road bikes with quick-release skewers.